Sunday, October 11, 2009

freeze dried and instant coffee

A cup of coffee, real coffee, home-browned, home ground,

home made, that comes to you dark as a hazel-eye,

but changes to a golden bronze as you temper it

with cream that never cheated, but was real cream from its birth,

thick, tenderly yellow, perfectly sweet, neither lumpy

nor frothing on the Java: such a cup of coffee is a

match for twenty blue devils and will exorcise them all.

Henry Ward Beecher

=============================================

We've had this sample of SB instant coffee hanging around
since the middle of this year, and never had the
nerve to try it, until now.

I recently found, in a store that sells all things inexpensively,
some containers of Mount Hagen Organic freeze dried
coffee from Germany, and the comparison began.

SB: This new product comes in either Italian,
Colombia and Decaf. I like Italian
roast,and I know it's hard to compare
fresh with anything else, but the flavor,
although smoother than their fresh beans,
still had a minor SB aftertaste.
But, it did taste better than their fresh beans
do and must say, if the price were less expensive
in a pinch or traveling, I might go with this.
12 servings will run you $9.95, and 48 - $34.95.

Mount Hagen: 100% arabica beans, with no
information on the jar about any kind of roast.
Before I tried the SB, I tried this one mixed
in cold almond milk and liked the flavor.
I then tried it hot, the same day I tried the
SB, and have to say I really enjoyed the flavor
of this one, smooth and no aftertaste, which for
some reason you always get with SB.
The price for this averages $8.00
for 3.53 oz a bottle.

Sad to think SB makes a better instant
coffee, but I think the cost will be
prohibitive for it to catch on.

17 comments:

Wings1295 said...

Great post! :)

mum said...

nice layout on that collage. (as for instant, I'll take your word for it) :-)

layers said...

love the collage-- not a fan of coffee-- tea lover though.
I grew up in Hawaii--and had never drank coffee until I went to college.
I remember thinking of all the cool-looking ones with their coffee and cigarettes.. so I tried both-- but with the coffee-I would add so much cream and sugar to get it down that I finally decided it was silly..and the cigarettes never stuck around either..

Dot-Com said...

Lovely collage! As for instant coffee - I don't know much, but I know I don't like the stuff.

Tom said...

great collage and quote...love drinking coffee when i'm out for breakfast; black with 1 lump. And if the waitress isn't around to refill, it's her loss.

Anonymous said...

Only in dire emergency will I revert to instant coffee! Good music tho' :)

California Girl said...

You inspire me with the idea of coffee mixed w/ cold almond milk. for some reason, that sounds absolutely delicious. I am a straight coffee drinker, no lattes, no froth, no frou frou. I do like my 1/2 & 1/2. But the almond milk sounds good.

"...twenty blue devils" hmmmm. what was Mr. Beecher thinking about? Maybe that's what kept hiim fighting slavery!

Merle Sneed said...

Instant coffee has never appealed to me. My dad insisted that brewing coffee was way too much trouble so he used Folger's Instant Coffee. About a dozen cups a day. He said he really liked the stuff. No accounting.

Ellie said...

It's time for another cup.

Megan said...

Thanks for the taste test results. I have yet to enjoy a 'good' cup of instant coffee, so this was very interesting.

Collage, of course, most excellent, as always...

Anonymous said...

blue devils??

Havent seen those, but the poo coloured ones, see them alot. Maybe they are really the instant coffee devils.

That would explain alot.

Coffee Messiah said...

wings; Thanks.

mum: I was just sayin' ; )

layers: I never liked either when young, but now, T & coffee, and only when fresh and brewed fresh. Smoking never made sense to me either, then or now. Hey, have a nice trip!

dc: I'm with you, but in a pinch and traveling and not knowing if you'll find any (besides, hotel coffee sucks anyway) it's nice to know you can bring something along, just in case.

tom: Thanks....I know what you mean about the waitress ; )

subT: Hey, I'm no advocate of it and I can't believe I finally broke down to try it. I just kept putting it off.

cg: I've found the brand called: Almond Breeze is the best, but hard to find. Also, L found a recipe and looks easy and much cheaper. Besides, you get extra with the leftover almond for use as past or in cooking ; ) 1/2 and 1/2 (breve) I really like, but am trying to stay away from milk products ; )

merle: That's funny. My grandma used to have Sanka all the time. Never cared for any coffee until I finally went to a real roaster and then I've been hooked ever since
; )

ellie: Thanks for your comment.

megan: In a pinch, luckily they don't come along too often ; )

g & d: Oh my, now that you mention it ; (

ratatouille's archives said...

Hi! C.M.,
Nice Collage...
Nice Sounds...for "L"
Nice Quote...
by Henry Ward Beecher
and German proverb...
and very interesting
info(rmation) about
SB instant coffee.
Thanks, for sharing!
DeeDee ;-D

tony said...

Do You Always put cream in?although I Love Coffee I never got the hang of cream (although, Almond Cream sounds interesting.)

Coffee Messiah said...

dd: It's just my humble opinion, of course ; )

tony: As mentioned before, except for summer, it's espresso, and if anything, a small dollop of whipped cream (con pana) but summer, this years we started using the toddy cold brewer and it's concentrated coffee. Lasts about a week or so and tastes very good. We usually add a bit of ice and a minor amount (now) of almond milk, to stretch it out. It's tasty and much better than cows milk ; )

C. Dylan said...

Your site still rules. I am still refreshed and amazed by the photos and the recent collage you have up now is amazing. I have tried both instant coffee's you speak of. I did not really like the SB variety and it is way overpriced..almost a dollar for enough to make one cup! Too much..and I agree, if the price were lower it might catch up. I've had the organic one as well from Mt. Hagen, it is "ok", not bad. But it is "organic" so one pays a premium for it. I would only embrace instant coffees if stuck on desert island. Peace...

Coffee Messiah said...

cd: You're too kind and hope your new move proves fruitful for you.
And yes, one must indeed be desperate to ever dink instant coffee ; )